how to get a salvage title cleared

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared

Driving a salvage vehicle is like rescuing a car. Its comeback takes a lot of work to pull off. Lucky for you, we can help you if this gets too complicated. You will need to know how to get a salvage title cleared.

First, what is a salvaged car?

There are different types of salvage vehicle that the California’s DMV defines:

  • Salvaged car: Has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair.
  • Revived salvage: A salvage vehicle which has been repaired and registered.
  • Junk car: A car that has been reported to the DMV as being dismantled.

The official definitions are slightly different, the process to re-register and title a junked car is similar to titling and re-registering a salvaged car. We’ll explain the differences below.

CA Salvage Certificate

Once there is an agreement total for the loss, the insurance company (or its representative Salvage Pool) or the owner of the car must apply for a Salvage Certificate within 10 days. To apply for a Salvage Certificate you have to submit:

  • A completed Application for Salvage Certificate or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificate(Form Reg 488C).
  • Proof of ownership with a properly endorsed:
  • Certificate of title.
  • Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (Form REG 227).
  • Any available bills of sale.
  • Odometer disclosure (if there is no room on the title certificate).
  • License plates. If you don’t have them, provide an explanation on the application.
  • Vehicle verification, if the title is from out of state.
  • Payment for the $21 Salvage Certificate fee.

How to get a Salvage Title Cleared in California

To register a salvaged car in CA, you will need ALL of the following:

  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343), signed by all owners.
  • Incorporate the cost of labor into the vehicle cost—even if you did the labor.
  • Proof of vehicle ownership, to include: A Salvage Certificate OR an Application for Salvage Certificate (Form Reg 488C), completed and/or submitted with/within:
  • 10 days of the settlement with your insurance company.
  • A Statement of Facts (Form REG 256).
  • The $2 record collection fee.
  • The vehicle title OR an Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (Form REG 227).
  • EITHER a completed: Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (Form REG 262), IF you need to submit an odometer reading. Pick this up at your DMV office. Or Bill of Sale (Form REG 135) AND Power of Attorney (Form REG 260), if you do not.

A vehicle inspection performed by either:

  • The California DMV, using a Verification of Vehicle (Form REG 31) or:
  • The California Highway Patrol (CHP), using a CHP Certification of Inspection (Form CHP 97C).
  • An official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificate from a licensed repair shop. See below for more information.
  • The appropriate fees (listed below).

If you’re re-registering a junked car, you’ll need a completed:

  • Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).
  • Bill of Sale (Form REG 135).
  • Power of Attorney (Form REG 260).
  • A vehicle inspection with the DMV or CHP.
  • The official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificate.
  • The appropriate fees.

How to get a Salvage Title Cleared – Vehicle Inspections

Getting certain inspections for your vehicle is mandatory to get the vehicle ready once again for use in California. While there, make sure to bring:

  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle. (See above for acceptable documents.)
  • The bill of sale, if relevant.
  • Receipts for any repairs done on the car.
  • The $50 inspection fee.

You will also need to obtain an official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificate from a state-licensed repair shop. Specific vehicles, such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles, may require a certificate from a specialty repair shop. Contact us for more information. All of this is indeed a lot of work and it is all very confusing. We know, that is why you can take what you need from this blog entry or you could just come to us, we’ll do it for you. Call us if you have any questions or if you wish to start a Salvage Revival process with us:

1 thought on “How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared”

  1. Pingback: “Your Automobile” – We the People, UnInc.

Comments are closed.