Out-Of-State Transfer

You have to do an out-of-state transfer when the vehicle you buy has a registration from another state or country. Also, when someone moves, they must re-register their vehicle in their new living location. No DMV Lines can easily help you register vehicles from out-of-state.

You will always need the following: 

  • An application for title or registration (REG 343) form (PDF). We have these so you do not need to bring one.
  • Out-of-State title.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form. If you bring your vehicle, we’ll perform this verification
  • Fees.

Many DMVs have different requirements, so you may need:

  • The out-of-state license plate(s).
  • Lien satisfied/legal owner/titleholder release (REG 166) form.
  • A weight certificate for commercial vehicles.
  • Smog certification for gasoline, diesel, and hybrid vehicles.

Can I do an out-of-state transfer in California?

In fact, you should be aware that some vehicles can’t have a California or United States (U.S.) registration. By all means, you can check the fast facts brochure. The “Buying a Vehicle From Out of State – Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29)”.

Important to realize, there may be some exceptions like:

  • When the vehicle was initially manufactured to meet California emission standards.
  • The owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption.

California’s law prohibits residents or businesses from bringing or registering in California, a vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition.

When do I have to pay fees to do an out-of-state transfer?

You have to pay the DMV the registration fees for your nonresident vehicle within 20 days. The date that registration fees become due varies. 

Regardless, to avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time. Even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California. This way you avoid paying late fees!

What fees are due?

The number of fees due depends on a variety of factors. We can calculate an exact amount when you submit your registration application to DMV. 

How do I change ownership while doing an out-of-state transfer?

To change ownership throughout of state, the following must be completed/is needed:

  • The last issued out-of-state title signed for release by the seller and legal owner. The legal owner’s release of interest may also be done on a notarized Lien Satisfied form.
  • For vehicles less than 10 model years old, a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) for odometer disclosure.
  • A REG 262 or Bill of Sale (REG 135) form if the person from whom you are acquiring the vehicle is not the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title.

If you do not know how to get these forms or fill them out, No DMV Lines can provide aid.

Requesting a duplicate Out-of-State Title

If the out-of-state title has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, and you are changing ownership or wish to have a California title issued, a duplicate must be obtained from the state that issued the title.