OHV Registration

Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV) Registration

What is an Off-Highway Vehicle?

An Off-Highway Vehicle is a vehicle that you would operate exclusively off public roads and highways. Instead, you would operate them on lands that are openly accessible to the public. Therefore, OHV typically include the following type of vehicles:  racing motorcycles, trail bikes, mini bikes, quads, dune buggies, all-terrain vehicles, jeeps, and snowmobiles.

What will I need if I want to do an OHV Registration?

  • Application for title or registration (REG 343) Form
  • Proof of Ownership
  • Verification of vehicle (REG 31) Form
  • Registration Fee

It is quite possible that the following documents may be needed:

  • Certificate of non-operation/planned non-operation certificate (REG102) Form
  • Application for duplicate or paperless title (REG227)
  • Application for Replacement plates, stickers, documents (REG156)
  • Use tax
  • The license plate(s)

Do I need an ID plate?

  • 2 years upon the year of registration, the DMV will assign a new ID plate.

What is the difference between a green and red ID plate?

DMV will issue a green ID plate to 2002 model or older OHV. Those previously issued a red ID plate. 2003 year models and newer OHV that comply with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) emission standards: snowmobiles, amphibians, dune and sand buggies, & golf carts (regardless of the year model).

* All year-round use in all California OHV Riding Areas.

A red ID plate is issued to the 2003 year models and newer OHVs that weren’t certified to meet the CARB emission standards. Those which have a “3” or “C” in the 8th position of the vehicle ID number.

* Allow seasonal use in California OHV Riding Areas.

In what condition would an OHV be exempt from registration?

OHV exempted but not limited to:

  • Special mobile/ construction equipment
  • Forklifts
  • Golf Carts
  • Certain Racing Motorcycles
  • Self-propelled wheelchairs
  • Motorized bicycles
  • Vehicles that are owned or operated by an out of state resident with a valid driver’s license issued by other states or foreign jurisdiction.

Renewing your old OHV ID

  • Expires June 30th of the second calendar year following the original OHV ID
  • Renewal fees must be received, mailed, or postmarked on or before June 30th to avoid a 50% late penalty
  • When renewals are paid, a new ID certificate (registration card) and ID plate are issued

*Assigned expiration years cannot be changed and fees cannot be propagated, even if paid late.

  • If you are not renewing your OHV ID, you MUST file for a Planned Non-Operation (PNO) by either checking the PNO box on the billing notice or completing a certificate of non-operation/planned non-operation certificate (REG 102) & must have it submitted by JUNE 30th along with the PNO fee

What if I need to replace my title, ID, Certificate or ID Plate?

You must submit the following documents:

  • A completed application for a duplicated or paperless title (REG 227)
  • A Duplicate Fee

* The off-highway vehicle (OHV) registration fee is $50.00 an every-other-year. Both green and red sticker OHV registrations will be charged the increased fee.

OHV Fees (CVC §§38225-38225.5, 38230, 38246, 38250, 38255, 38260, 38265)

  • Duplicate certificate – $20
  • Original/Renewal OHV ($52 total)
    • CHP – $8
    • Registration – $33
    • Service – $7
    • License – $4
  • Penalties ($27 total):
    • Registration – $17
    • CHP – $4
    • Service – $4
    • License – $2
  • Substitute plate and/or sticker – $20
  • Repossession – $10
  • Penalty – $10
  • Transfer – $20
  • Penalty – $20